RE: Some ProSolo Challenge Ideas

To: "'dg50@daimlerchrysler.com'" <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>,
Subject: RE: Some ProSolo Challenge Ideas
From: Kevin McCormick <ktm@unify.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:31:07 -0800
A few comments on Dennis' large amount of effort on this:

1) If you do away with Sunday runs, you will lose workers and spectators
from those that didn't make a challenge (I know, I know, but more will make
a challenge - see below, I believe.)  Oh, heck, I'll put it here... Reducing
class competition to lesser runs, means that competitors have a high chance
of not getting more than two runs on Sunday.  Will people really stay around
on Sunday for that?  See #4 below.

2) Besides the 'uniqueness' of the tree for ProSolo, part of it's 'charm' is
getting a 'second chance' at the course after you and your mind have had
time to digest what happened on Saturday.  To me, what makes ProSolo 'Pro'
is who can process that information, and fine the tenths, hundreths, etc.
needed to win.  And that builds the camaraderie amongst the class
competitors.

3) I believe you don't give credit as to how effeciently the challenges are
run - there really isn't that much down time between runs, even with Howard
having to do mental math manipulation :-)  As two cars finish their swap and
launch, the next pair is staging, and then the dial-in is done as soon as
the cars are back.  Even when it is close, we get the answer before the next
pairing is done.

4) With your calculation on class challenge numbers (I'm not saying they're
optimistic or not, just taking them as numbers) - that's 142 entrants rather
than 66.  You now have one challenge that equals the entire former system.
A bit o' time to run these eh?  If it were drag racing, then indeed that
would not be as tough, but with the switch over, you indeed make a day out
of challenges.

5) I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't have an interest in drag
racing - that they do it differently in the 'real' system is of little
importance.  I might be in the minority here, and if so, that's ok.  I know
Dennis and others come from or at least participate, in drag racing, so
ProSolo is a 'bastardized' version - but many of us like that :-)

If the SCCA changes the format in order to make $$$, I can understand that.
And like any sport, some will like that new format - others won't.  I still
consider the challenges to be a 'bonus', and class competition is the real
challenge.

Kevin McCormick

P.S. I know I'm adverse to change, but, hey, _someone_ has to be!