List of things you can't change unless your stock car fails

To: "Autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: List of things you can't change unless your stock car fails
From: "James Rogerson" <jwalter@ptra.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:55:15 -0600
The following are those items controlled by the Clean Air Act.  They must
remain in manufacturer stated tolerances and can only be changed out after they
fail to meet either the manufacturers stated levels or standard levels set by
the Act.  Additionally, if your manufacturer does not provide for scheduled
maintenance of any of the listed controlled items/systems you must follow the
maintenance schedule as described in the Act.  I'd venture to say that none of
us comply with the Act as written.

So let's just forget about how many are "breaking" the Federal law for "Cat
Killing".  ALL the things below are covered by the act and can not be modified
unless the car fails emissions tests due to part failure.  No boring to maximum
tolerance of less than 50,000 mile/five year old stock cars.  No milling of
heads, nothing.  You can go the Federal Register and read to your hearts
content.  There's plenty there.  ;-)

A tidbit, if your manufacturer does not give you a date/mileage to clean your
spark plugs (removal and clean; but not replacement).  The Act requires
cleaning every 30,000 miles.  Enjoy.  ;-)

$25,000 fine for each violation.

40 CFR Ch. I (7100 Edition) Pt. 94, App. I
APPENDIX I TO PART 94;EMISSION RELATED ENGINE PARAMETERS AND SPECIFICATIONS

I. Basic Engine ParametersReciprocating Engines.
1. Compression ratio.
2. Type of air aspiration (natural, Roots
blown, supercharged, turbocharged).
3. Valves (intake and exhaust).
a. Head diameter dimension.
b. Valve lifter or actuator type and valve
lash dimension.
4. Camshaft timing.
a. Valve openingintake exhaust (degrees
from TDC or BDC).
b. Valve closingintake exhaust (degrees
from TDC or BDC).
c. Valve overlap (degrees).
5. Portstwo stroke engines (intake and/or exhaust).
a. Flow area.
b. Opening timing (degrees from TDC or BDC).
c. Closing timing (degrees from TDC or BDC).
II. Intake Air System.
1. Roots blower/supercharger/turbocharger calibration.
2. Charge air cooling.
a. Type (air-to-air; air-to-liquid).
b. Type of liquid cooling (engine coolant,
dedicated cooling system).
c. Performance (charge air delivery temperature (0F) at rated power and one
other power level under ambient conditions of 800F and 1100F, and 3 minutes and
15 minutes after selecting rated power, and 3 minutes and 5 minutes after
selecting other power level).
3. Temperature control system calibration.
4. Maximum allowable inlet air restriction.
III. Fuel System.
1. General.
a. Engine idle speed.
2. Fuel injectioncompression ignition engines.
a. Control parameters and calibrations.
b. Transient enrichment system calibration.
c. Air-fuel flow calibration.
d. Altitude compensation system calibration.
e. Operating pressure(s).
f. Injector timing calibration.
IV. Engine Cooling System.
1. Thermostat calibration.
V. Exhaust System.
1. Maximum allowable back pressure.
VI. Exhaust Emission Control System.
1. Air injection system.
a. Control parameters and calibrations.
b. Pump flow rate.
2. EGR system.
a. Control parameters and calibrations.
b. EGR valve flow calibration.
3. Catalytic converter system.
a. Active surface area.
b. Volume of catalyst.
c. Conversion efficiency.
4. Backpressure.
VII. Crankcase Emission Control System.
1. Control parameters and calibrations.
2. Valve calibrations.
VIII. Auxiliary Emission Control Devices
(AECD).
1. Control parameters and calibrations.
2. Component calibration(s).

James Rogerson
[FP #125] - Techless Racing
"Nails are glue, hypothetically speaking" - Lou Fertile
"Men that like golf are unhappy at home and incapable of having a meaningful
relationship with women" - Joseph Heller
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's
start with typewriters." Frank Lloyd
Wright(1868-1959)