: SM PAX & 'Street Legal?' Now: cats

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: : SM PAX & 'Street Legal?' Now: cats
From: Jester097@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:38:22 EST
This brings up some good points.  Upon inspection and emissions inspection, the
tech looks for the visual inspection of a cat - that its physically there.
They dont put it on a lift and measure inlet/outlet size or compare size to
that of an OEM cat.  As long as its there and the tailpipe air is clean, you're
cool.  It would be understood that running a 'fake' or hollowed out cat would
be illegal - But the high-flow units from random, catco, dynomax and the like,
how can you even know that they are different from the 'generic/oem' type you'd
find at midas/mineke?  Not by visually inspecting it thats for sure.  I did
leave my cat in until it really did fail (75K) and i replaced it with a dynomax
high flow unit.  Looks the same, except the 2.25" inlet/outlets.  Running no
cat probably wouldnt net you any power anyways on a 4-cylinder, such as my
saturn - at least not without an annoying increase in noise/resonance from
under the car.  Not enough to justify the 1hp i get.  with !
a 2.25" exhaust, a little backpr
essure is neccessary.   The point is, its just like ECU's in Stock class - you
can make a rule but you cant enforce it.  If you're protested, what are we
donna do?  Cut off your cat and put it on a flow bench?  Sorry, your cat will
flow 300cfm, its illegal - i dont think so.  I just hope i'm not protested in
STS, but if i am, they may look under the car and my shitty ass exhaust and get
too busy laughing and forget the reason they were under there in the first
place.  Besides... who's gonna come up, if you win in STS and say... "he
cheated, he's got an illegal cat, its not oem".  Shit, the high flow units are
probably cheaper than midas/walker replacements, and depending on your car, you
may not even be able to find a direct fit replacement.  So even if you are
protested and they can somehow magically prove that your cat is a 'high flow'
unit (what is a high flow cat anyways?  in comparison to oem, what separates
them, where's the line?) can they prove that your addition of th!
e extra 1.63 HP it gave you on y
our 4-cylinder neon/saturn/scooobaru is the winning edge?  Can they prove that
by going back to "oem" you would have lost the time you beat them by?  Driving
and chassis setup is so much more of a part of the game than the 2HP here...
the 3HP there... 2.5 ft-lbs here... anyone follow?

-Ryan 92 SC/DSP/STS
www.saturn.pair.com/ryanj.htm