Re: Fwd: Re: SM PAX & 'Street Legal?'

To: SVPViper@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: SM PAX & 'Street Legal?'
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:29:17 -0500
> You guys... (Maybe Dennis can Clarify)... I don't have a 2000 rule book
> infront of me.  But if My memory serves me correct, it says something to
this > effect under SM... "SM includes all mods listed previously in STS,
and STR
> plus the designated info below"... Then below it says about car types,
etc... > and then it says all rules in SP except the handbrake rule.

> That's it!  So while the intent may have been 'Street Legal'  It
specifically > says all SP mods are legal.  I asked Howard this last year,
and he said,
> correct... That is why SM doesn't require a 'Street Legal' Seat... any
Racing > Seat is legal, due to SP rules.

I can state, with 100% accuracy and authority, that SM does not require
catalytic converters, emissions equipment, or any other such things.

1) As Dave (and a few others) have pointed out, SM inherits all the SP
rules, less the handbrake rule (which we take from Prepared - in fact, the
SM brake rules *are* the Prepared brake rules, less the allowance to remove
the park brake) SP does NOT require cats, and explicitly states that
emissions equipment may be removed.

2) The SM requirement for street legality is that the car have current
plates. Period. It makes no requirement for how those plates were obtained,
nor does it require that the car, is it sits, be capable of passing
inspection in the state or province of record. If it has current plates,
it's legal.

3) To prevent cars losing their headlights, turn signals, wipers, and so
on, there is a rule that requires that the car retain all normal road going
equipment. I quote:

"6. Except as noted by these rules and the referenced rules, vehicles must
be as originally delivered, including all road going components such as
lights, wipers, interior, heater, etc."

Note that as removal of catalytic converters and emissions equipment are
explicitly allowed by the SP rules, their removal does not contrdict SM
Rule 6

That is it. Cut and dried. Any other interpretation of the rules is
flat-out WRONG.

DG