Re: Entry forms and Adobe Acrobat

To: "John Thomas" <jtthomas21@hotmail.com>, <mcneary@usa.com>,
Subject: Re: Entry forms and Adobe Acrobat
From: "Alan Pozner" <apozner@ptd.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 10:47:56 -0500
There's no problem with the form. You need to have the latest Acrobat Reader
4.0 installed.

<Rant mode on>The real problem is Adobe. They create a "standard" file
format (.PDF) and then change it to add new features. So when an old reader
loads a file that uses the new features boom - black squares. They could
easily have addressed this problem by having a little foresight - they could
have placed version checking in the original Acrobat Reader and file format
spec. Then an old version of Reader could tell if it was capable of loading
a file and present the user with a nice little message saying that you have
the wrong version to read this file and its time to upgrade.

This behavior is typical of the way things are going in the software
industry. Less emphasis on product longevity and user satisfaction more
emphasis on feature list and speed to market </Rant mode off>

Regards,
Alan