RE: Large timing displays

To: "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Large timing displays
From: "Loren Williams" <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 20:28:05 -0600
> Questions:
> (1) What display did your club choose?

We've got the JAC display.

> (2) Where did you get it?

Direct from JAC, I think.

> (3) How much did you pay for it?

$2000?  I wasn't the Solo chairman at the time.

> (4) Are you happy with it?  Are there any issues we ought to
> know about?

We've had no trouble with ours.  Works great.  I've never seen the 8"
LED display.  A larger size might be beneficial if the numbers show up
as well as the 6" JAC unit and there are no other drawbacks.

> (5) What software are you using to drive it?  Do you display anything
>       other than times (penalties, countdown timer between heats, ...)

Plugs right into the JAC timer and is triggered by the last finish.  We
don't use ours for anything else, but I seem to remember some discussion
about trying to find a way to maybe put a red light or something on the
display at Divisional level events to alert the driver of a DNF.  (we
had problems with drivers not hearing the announcer and not being
otherwise notified of a DNF run... and proceeding to duplicate the DNF
due to not knowing they had gone off-course)

--
Loren Williams  | Loren@kscable.com
'96 Mazda Miata | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca