Re: Whats better: camber or caster

To: brianberryhill@flashmail.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Whats better: camber or caster
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:32:53 EST
Camber-Okay on the street up to about 2 degrees, after that you'll get inside
edge wear on the tires.  Too much negative camber will also reduce footprint
for straight line braking, but IMSA Radial Sedans used to run 6 degrees
negative!  More static negative camber is needed on strut cars than on cars
with upper and lower control arms, due to poor camber change.

Caster-As previously stated, caster increases camber as steering angle
increases.  As long as you have power steering, the increased steering effort
is not a problem, and I personally like the "self-centering" action of the
steering with lots of caster.  The most I've seen is 6-7 degrees positive,
but I'm not sure why you wouldn't go for more if you could get it.

Make sure you do something (springs or swaybars) about body roll, as it's the
biggest "camber robber" out there.

Charlie Davis