Re: Contributing to the SM Inclusion List

To: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>, "Teamdotnet"
Subject: Re: Contributing to the SM Inclusion List
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 12:43:17 -0600
Matt Murray wrote:

> The following are from the slacker inclusion list that DG
posted the URL
> for. They are all considered for inclusion.

> IMO, these come under the
> heading of "rare".

I'm going to add my observations to Matt's list in the hope that
the aggregate will be of some use.

> AMX

Two seat cars.

>Javelin (all)

Rare, but I don't think they have any advantage over other period
ponycars.

>  Milano

That's a sedan which came with Alfa's largest engine, a V6. Not
that much potential for improvement. No threat to SM.

> America (all)

Austin Americas have the same chassis and driveline as Minis. Ifn
Minis are excluded, Americas should be as well.

> 2002 ti

Never sold in the US, and it doesn't matter. You can make a 2002
into a ti with (mostly) SP-legal changes. No advantage in SM.

& tii

Likewise. Everything that distinguishes a tii from a normal 2002
is unrestricted in SM.

(all) Bavaria

This listing should include BMW 2500/2800/Bavaria/3.0S, all of
which are quite large (for German cars of the time) five-seat
sedans. They are not particularly rare, nor are they any threat
to SM.

>1800ti

Again, this listing should include 1600/1800/2000 sedans, along
with the 1800ti. Four-door sedans, overweight, too tall, and
underpowered in their original form. They share driveline
components with '02 BMWs and weigh much more. No threat to SM.

>TISA

Only 8 (from memory) ever made. Based on the sedans listed above,
they were built to compete in the Sebring 12 hrs. of 196(5 or 6 I
believe). I've driven and worked on one of these cars. SM rules
allow all the mods necessary to convert an 1800 into a TISA. No
threat to SM.

>  Corvair & Yenko Stage I & II & III (all)

Aww, heck. Let the Corvair guys have some fun, woncha?

> Arrow /Sapporo

Dunno.

> Abarth (all)

Agreed. Tuner cars. May be possible to make a Fiat 600 into an
Abarth, but 600s are extremely small and light, too, and should
probably be excluded.

>  Cortina

No more problematic than Pintos. Probably heavier, live rear axle
w/leaf springs. A Capri would probably be a better choice for an
SM car anyway.

> Cobra R

I'm not positive, but I bet the SM rules allow all the changes
you need to make a Mustang into a Cobra R.

>  Scorpion (all)

Two seats.

> Beta & Zagato ('75-83)

Basically Fignats. Even rarer, though. I don't think you'll be
alienating a large contingency if you leave these out.  ;<)

> Biturbo

Big, ugly, unreliable sedan. Rare, but mostly because almost none
of the remaining ones can be kept running. The biggest threat a
Biturbo would pose is creating an obstruction on course.  ;<)

> Cosmo
> R-100 (all)

Dunno aobut either of the above.

> Lancer, Lancer EVO, Charisma EVO {ed. note, non-USA car}

Idunno.

> 405 M116

Sedan. Rare because Peugeot had trouble giving them away in this
country, but not a threat to SM.

> R5 Turbo

Not US-legal. Since the entire driveline in the Turbo I (or was
it Turbo II?) was relocated from the original position in the R5,
this car should definitely be excluded. Otherwise, you can
update/backdate an R5 into a midengine car.

> Fuego Turbo

I can't see a problem w/Fuegos in SM. They're FWD and not light.

> Saleen (all)

Agreed.

> Shelby (all)

Yep.