RE: Any Civil Engineers in the House?

To: "autox@autox. team. net (E-mail)" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Any Civil Engineers in the House?
From: "Howard, Brent" <Brent.Howard@Searbrown.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 09:32:20 -0400
DG ponders:

>Any civil engineers in the house?

That's me!

>From experience designing roads for New York's DOT - they use 9-10" of
reinforced concrete on 12" of subbase material for major highways - I'd say
you need 6" to 8" of reinforced concrete for what you're proposing (we use
this for concrete pads at truck loading docks at your local Wal-Mart).  Keep
the 12" subbase.

One stipulation - I think your assumption that you will use unskilled or
skilled but free labor is a real stretch, considering the magnitude of what
you are proposing, unless you are planning on doing this a section at a time
over the course of 10 years

Using NYSDOT prices (which include all installation costs with union labor
at prevailing wage rates):
640000 SF of concrete pavement @ 6" @ $250 per cubic yard = $2,950,000
640000 SF of reinforcement @ $5/SY = $120,000
640000 CF of subbase @ $15/CY = $350,000

So you're talking $3.5 million without factoring in drainage, survey,
grading, permitting, design costs, etc.  Maybe halve that since you're not a
state agency ;-).  Or cut it by two-thirds it if you can find your free
labor. ;-) ;-)

Asphalt - you would want at least 8" I would say.  This translates to about
11,000 tons of asphalt @ $30 per ton = $330,000.  Keep the subbase the same
and your overall cost is much cheaper, but you're still better off buying
the dyno :)  :)  :)

Hope this helps with your decision!

Brent
(who's really wanting to build a 1/2 mile asphalt kart track suitable for
autocross events on his parents farm)