Re: Peru Pro (a bit long)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Peru Pro (a bit long)
From: Adam Popp <raft321@fuse.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:38:41 -0400
Jim & Marilyn Rohn wrote:

> At 12:14 PM 5/23/00, Adam Popp wrote:
> And now you should be flamed.  Ok lets see, there were nearly 220
> competitors at this years Peru Pro Solo event. A pro solo format is best
> suited for 160 to 180 competitors and Saturday competition lasted until
> around 7:15 p.m.
>
>  this means what?

 What do you think it means?It means that this was the biggest pro solo
of the season and the competition lasted all day. Ask anybody else that
goes to a lot of pro solos and they will tell you that this was one of
the bigger ones that they've went to.

>   Yes, Sunday Morning, there's was a neon collision at the closest
> section of the 2 courses.  One guy in a blue neon on the right course,
> was going way to fast into the Chicago box, spun, lost control and spun
> into a red neon. There was some damage on both neons, but both drivers
>  >were ok.
>
>  that's good
>
>    I saw the accident occur, up, close and personel as I was working
> corner station 2 on the left course one of the closest stations to the 2
> u turns, when the accident happened. The guy in the blue neon,
> was wild and fast through the Chicago box, all weekend.
>
> I know DOZENS of other drivers who are the same way, most drive Corvettes

Yeah, I am one of them.  I was wild and fast, but never out of control.

>  I know because
> I had to work 2nd shift, Saturday afternoon, and Sunday morning, when
> the neons were running. I thought that guy would of spin on one of the
> runs, he wound up spinning only once, but that ended up to be his most
> costly mistake. I'm not saying he's only guy that was really going hot
> and heavy,
>
> good, because I'm sure he wasn't the only one

Ok, you just repeated what I said in the previous sentence.

> and on the edge of out of control thruough the chicago box,
> but I think some of the blame should go to the guy in the blue neon.

>why?

Why ask why? Some of the fault should go to him becuase he's the one
that was driving it way to fast entering the chicago box and he was the
one that spun, tried to correct it, but didn't and collided into the red
neon. The guy in the red neon had no problems going through the left
course's chicago box and was hit going into the u turn.

> And Eric, we didn't have any time to change the courses on Sunday
> morning. If we did, it would of screwed things up big time.  We probably
> wouldn't of had time to complete the pro solo before dark if we did, and
> we had to get off the AFB, right before dark. So changing the courses
> >was not an option.
>
>  which shgould've been done or the event halted

You don't halt pro solos, autocrosses in general, just because there was
one accident where two cars collide or one car collides with an object,
unless the driver or drivers were seriously injured. And if this goes
down there should be a vote to see if the autocross should go on. And in
this incident, both drivers were a ok. Plus, autocrossers that came to
this event, paid a lot of money, to run in this event.

>   I'm sure this is not the only time where 2 cars collided at a pro solo
> event.
>
>  pretty sure it is

How do you know, have you been to all the pro solos in since the pro
solo format was created? I'm pretty sure you haven't even been to one.

> After the accident occured, drivers were more cautious, and had
> more commen sense going through the chicago boxes.
>
>  too late though
>
>  And some of them
> probably had faster times because of that.  If people don't know that
> autocrossers aren't safe, they must be smoking something. Yes, it is
> suppose to be safe, and lot more safe than other forms of racing, but
> there is also a safety risk in autocrossing.
>   As for the safetey and the course design at this past weekend's pro
> solo, the head man of safety at the event, and other officials said the
> chicago boxes and the 2 u turns were far enough apart and safe enough to
> have a well runned and safe event. So don't blame the course deseigners
>on that subject.
>
> ok, then we have to blame the Safety Stewards who knew better, or at least
>  should have known better
>
> if not them, then the event staff (yes, Howard) for letting it go on

The Safety stewards have the last say on the course design, buddy. I
helped set up the courses with my bro, Karl Litterer and Kent Weaver,
and if the Safety Stewards, and Howard Duncan, would of said it was not
safe, and if they would of said change it, we would of.

> Jim Rohn
> Safety Steward

How did you become a safety steward?

Adam Popp