Re: Seat belts

To: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seat belts
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 14:08:05 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: richard nichols <rnichol1@san.rr.com>

> Let me add:  I saw an autox car with a Y strap, with the single strap
simply
> clipped into the seatbelt buckle of the rear seat (immediately behind).
> That way the entire harness could be unbuckled/unclipped.  Comments?

Only if you *really* trust the seatbelt buckle and the strap it's attached
to.  Personally, I'd hold out for the bolt-in/clip-in solution -- I don't
trust a stock belt buckle to hold a straight linear load like that.  I had
clip-in belts on a previous car, and it was pretty easy to reach into the
seat cushion and unclip the shoulder harness if I needed -- although more
often I just left them clipped in, dropped the rest on the floor behind my
seat and told the unlucky soul sitting behind me to make themselves
comfortable -- any discomfort from sitting on the flat harness paled in
comparison to being confined in that little back seat!

Many newer cars can't use the clip-in lap belts -- there's not enough
clearance for the eyebolt between the seat and the center console.  That
doesn't preclude using a bolt-in lap belt and clip-in shoulder harness,
however.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing