Re: [new to the list...

To: Christopher Roger Cammack <cmack@WPI.EDU>
Subject: Re: [new to the list...
From: Rocky Entriken <RENTRIKEN/0003006623@MCIMAIL.COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:32:05 -0400 (EDT)
> what is the proper breaking [in] to get the new stuff seated, if any?

Now if this is not right for carbon metallic, I'm sure someone will jump my
case and say so.  :-)   This is what I was told eons ago for bedding in
brakes.

Basically, you go out somewhere you can get some good fast blasts in, and
where you can also stop abruptly, without causing consternation among the
populace. As in: back road, empty big parking lot, backwash area of airport.

You get up to speed (legal highway speed is sufficient if you are on the
public roads) and do a soft braking down to fairly slow. Do this several times
to get those pads warm. Then do a couple of really hard braking stops, like
an insanely late braking on the track or near a panic stop, just shy of locking
up the wheels. Then you want to cool off the pads -- which you can do just by
driving a while with no braking, or by parking and just rolling the car back
and forth by hand (so the pads don't stick to the discs). Now they're bedded.

You can do more than one set in a session. I've bedded in several sets, put
them back in the box, ready to pull out and install just before the race/autox

Not sure it really matters, but I marked which pad went where on which wheel
so I could reinstall them in the same place. Little strip of masking tape
works fine (not racer tape -- too thick, too gooey)

--Rocky Entriken