RE: [new to the list...

To: "Lonnie Heston" <lhheston@netscape.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [new to the list...
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:31:32 -0500
> 1. Ask lots of HOW... questions of the oldies

Especially those who drive cars similar to yours.  Also take the time to
chat with them, there are a lot of great people at the events.

> 6. Get/borrow a rule book, some mods are legal in Stock classes

You gotta know the rules if you don't want to be surprised in the game.

> 9. Have fun - nowhere else can you punch it, spin, and not get nailed

If it is not fun, why bother.  Assume that you will loose as a new person.
If you happen to win, it will be more fun.

At the last AX event I went to, a new driver (MR2) was being disappointed
because he was about 4 seconds behind my (Fiero Formula) times.  He was
thinking that he needed to get a different car because "there would be no
chance of him beating a car with that much more torque than his".

I hope that I gave him the impression that it was not his car that was the
cause but that he was still inexperienced.

> 2. Install a racing harness for the driver's seat

Only if you have a problem staying in place in the seat.

> 3. Get a set of "DOT" racing tires on the lightest (stock size) wheels

I have never before heard of this suggestion for a NEWBIE.  The standard
suggestion is to use your street tires until you are limited by them or find
that they are wearing unusually fast.

> 7. Break down and join the SCCA, our region discounts entries $5

Join whatever club will give you a discount.  Joining the SCCA wouldn't do
squat for me.

> Enjoy your first year or so, call it a "building year", then look
> for either
> performance mods within stock, or out to CSP, or a different car
> and class.

Avoid "loading up with things" unless you know that the "things" are
actually fixing a problem.  Don't let the "thing to have" get in the way of
fun.