RE: Aftermarket warranties

To: "'Jeff Blankenship'" <jblanken@itds.com>,
Subject: RE: Aftermarket warranties
From: "Chan, Albert (GEP)" <Albert.Chan@gepex.ge.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:15:46 -0400
Jeff:

If you want the Chrysler warranty, my suggestion is to shop around with
different Chrysler dealerships to see who might give you the best deal. I
understand that the mark-up (dealer profit) is around 30 to 40%, so there is
room for negotiation. The beauty of the manufacturer's extended warranty is
that, usually, the dealership is authorized to do the work without further
approval.

Also, if you go with someone other than Chrysler, find out if, in the case of
major repairs (like replacing a transaxle) if the warranty company needs to
have one of their agents inspect the car. In that case, a car with
autocross-prep might not be viewed favorably. Check the language of
trouble-prone parts (some warranty companies deny claims on RX-7 TT apex seal
problems by saying that the standard language of the warranty doesn't cover
seals and gaskets).

Of course, putting on my GE corporate hat, get the GE Capital warranty.

Al Chan