Re: Neon braking problem...poor performance on the street

To: Cccya1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Neon braking problem...poor performance on the street
From: David K Yeung <dkyeung@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:53:21 -0500
I'm no neon expert but it sounds like a vacuum problem.  does the climate
control system use engine vacuum to control temperature and/or diverter
doors?  if so, then one of the vacuum diaphragms may be leaking and using
up the available engine vacuum thereby reducing the brake booster
effectiveness.  also check for leaks in and around the brake booster,
hoses, check valves etc, check the function of the booster (deplete
vacuum with engine off by pumpin brake several times until pedal is very
firm, then holding pedal, start engine...the pedal should sink as vacuum
builds and brake boost develops, try with A/C off/on).  also, just having
the A/C on increases engine load and reduces vacuum available.  there may
be a leak just marginal enough that having the A/C on makes the
difference.  good luck.

Dave Yeung