Re: CLUTCH HELP NEEDED!

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: CLUTCH HELP NEEDED!
From: Gary Spray <gspray@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 15:40:56 -0500
At 12:41 PM 7/17/1999 -0400, Rex Weatherford wrote:
>Well it finally happened.  My clutch gave out.  Actually I think either
>the fork or the fingers on the pressure plate bent.  It won't fully
disengage.

Hold IT! Before you start pulling the engine: this car has a hydraulically
actuated clutch, right? The first thing you should do is check the slave
cylinder for leakage. If there is no leakage then change the fluid and
bleed the system. My boss spent an entire Saturday pulling the engine on
his son's Fiero only to discover that the clutch was fine. ti was the slave
cylinder that was shot!

Of course if your car has mechanical clutch linkage, never mind...

Gary Spray
90 Mazda Miata
Topeka, Kansas

[More power is good, better handling is "gooder".]