CLUTCH HELP NEEDED!

To: Atlanta SCCA Solo II list <solo2atlanta@ilist.net>,
Subject: CLUTCH HELP NEEDED!
From: Rex Weatherford <rweatherford@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 12:41:09 -0400
Well it finally happened.  My clutch gave out.  Actually I think either
the fork or the fingers on the pressure plate bent.  It won't fully disengage.

I will likely get a LUK clutch from Pep Boys for the car.  I don't have
any real mods done to the car and it will probably hold.  Some quad
owner said that they have had real good luck with thiers.  It is $119
with a lifetime warrantee, so if I burn it up I can just get another
one.  ;^)

I thought about getting a centerforce DF but decided I probably don't
have enough power to warrent such a clutch.  It is also over twice the
price @ $277.

I don't guess that I will be getting a lightened flywheel because I am
afraid about it making the car real hard to drive on the street or
actually slowing me down (could this happen?).  I was thinking about
moving to SP next year anyway and playing with the Noen's.  Everyone
give me an opinion on this one please!

Also if anyone has any insights or warning about doing this job PLEASE
let me know!  This will be the first time for me to EVER do a clutch.  I
have seen and felt a clutch and pressure plate from a v-6/5-speed combo
and was suprised at how little it was.  I was used to seeing clutches
from old grain trucks and the like.  ;^)

Thanks!  (anyone in Atlanta got some free garage space and some jacks or
hoists?)

--
Rex Weatherford <---(now believes in the "quad-force")
92 Beretta GTZ 2.3 97,000 Miles 15.531@91.28MPH <--(is one with the
#22 GS Atlanta Region SCCA Solo II G-Stock
95 Grand Am GT 3100 V-6 (wife's car)
http://www.beretta.net/
http://www.mindspring.com/~rweatherford/rexw/rexhome.html