RE: STU Rules; "I Class"?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: STU Rules; "I Class"?
From: "Brad Cox" <coxb@trimofran.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:33:00 -0500
I'll have to side with DG50 on this one.  Sure, a DSM AWD with lots of
goodies is gonna have a lot of power, and it's going to get it to the ground
quickly.  But is it going to run away from a Civic with a turbo'd 1.8
integra motor?? I SERIOUSLY doubt it.  AWD is not the holy grail.  At least
not on pavement anyway.  History bears this out both on the autox course as
well as the drag strip.  DSM vs. Honda has been quite a duel, and certainly
none of the drag guys on either side think the other is a hands down winner.

Instead of raw power, it's important to consider the ratios.  A DSM is
giving away several hundred pounds.  We're also talking about little juiced
Civic's with LSD's and aftermarket clutches.  They'll get the power to the
ground just fine.

BTW, I own a civic.  A good friend owns a DSM.  We both have a great deal of
respect for the capabilities of the other's car.   We've been trying to lure
some of the local "rice" guys out to an autox for awhile.  They all drive
hybrids.  I think this class is a great idea.

brad