-OT- Happy.EXE (was Re: Be warry of Mr Shenfield)

To: Chris Shenefield <shenec@ohinter.net>
Subject: -OT- Happy.EXE (was Re: Be warry of Mr Shenfield)
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 23:20:43 -0700
Warry?

Chris Shenefield wrote:

> To all autox.team.net list members:
>
> I apologize for this email activity, but it is very important to me that I let
> everyone know it was _not_ my intention to send a virus to Rick.

Of course. Happy.exe sends out a new e-mail after you send an e-mail or
sends itself as an attachment with your mail. It is not a virus, but a
"worm".

Not really a big deal. You probably already know the steps you need to
follow to eradicate on your system.

Happy.exe by itself sitting there in e-mail is harmless. You have to
click on it to make something happen. The lesson here is to not open
executable files from anyone, unless you know what the files are. Delete
the e-mail, then just to make sure, delete it out of your Trash folder
also.

If you are wondering if you have it, check for the files SKA.EXE and
SKA.DLL on your system. If you find them, either install/upgrade to some
newer anti-virus programs or manually uninstall the worm per
instructions located all over the net. Once good source is:
http://help.netscape.com/kb/client/990305-2.html

Randy Chase
'91 MR2 CS