STU Rules Revisions Revised

To: autox@autox.team.net, werace4u@aol.com
Subject: STU Rules Revisions Revised
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:37:04 -0400
Thanks everybody for all the great feedback. It seems we're really on to
something here. :)

Revisions Made:

- Allow convertibles, but must retain factory top & retraction mechanism
- Bump displacement limit to 3.200l
- Expand engine swap language to allow "corporate family" engines.
- Re-enforce language that engine mods are indeed unlimited

Pending

- Add rotory displacement conversion factor of 2 (I forgot it, but it's going
in)

Notes

- "my" STU and the STU in the back of the 1999 rulebook are VERY similar. For
the most part, all I've done is remove a few vagueries, clarify the vehicle
eligibility language a little, allow aftermarket steering wheels, seats, and
brakes, and remove the emissions requirement. (which is unenforceable, and
doesn't apply to half the country anyway) That's it. The unlimited engine mods
etc. are NOT MINE - that comes from the existing STU class. (Although I fully
agree with it) So I can't understand the couple of folks that think this isn't
in the spirit of "ST" when this is the way the class is already established.

I got that "all modifications from Street Prepared" line (I think it's STU.0B)
by taking out my rulebook, and circling all the SP rules that STU (as it was
written in the rulebook) used. When I was done, there were only 4 line items in
SP that weren't used or superceded - seats, steering wheels, fuel cells, and
roll bars (and the roll bar line in the SP rules says "go look at the Stock
rules" so even that is kinda there).

I know a bunch of guys with the 1 piece seats and aftermarket steering wheels,
so it doesn't make sense to ban those. Fuel cells are more mod-car-esque, but
they're also safety equipment, and I have a hard time banning safety equipment.
So we're left with STU really being based on SP - because that's the way (once
you work it all out) the existing rules really work today.

So if that's the way they work, why not say it that way? It's a lot easier to
understand...

- Porches: Aside from the 959 (where my primary objection is initial cost), what
is the problem with allowing the front-motor, 4 seat, 3.0l Porches into STU? I'm
fully prepared to have an exclusion list rather than wade into the swap that is
"what is or is not "sportscar based"?", but I want it justified to me before I
add these cars onto an exclusion list. The 944's are pretty cheap, and they're
about the same size as many of the other cars in this class, what makes them so
evil? Keep in mind we're allowing M3's at this point.

- Displacement limits: I went to 3.200 to allow service overbores on 3.1l
motors. If a couple of other cars now get to play (without service overbores)
OK, fine. I'd like to bump the displacement limit higher to allow some of the GM
3.8l cars, but I really can't. The vast majority of this class has a 1.8-2.2
litre displacement, and given that most of these cars will wind up
super/turbocharged, you just can't creep the displacement level up too high
before you wind up marginalizing your core cars - unless you do minimum weights
and weight breaks, and the current STU doesn't do that.

Now how about "A-STU" and "B-STU" where "A" is 0-2.5l, and "B" is 2.501-4.0l?
That would work - but I'm worried about getting the little tweaks I'm trying to
get passed here through, never mind splitting the class. :(

What I think we'll eventually wind up with is 4 classes under the STU umbrella:
2 classes for sedans, and 2 classes for 2-seaters. However, by far the largest
population is the under 3.1l sedan class; if we can make that work, _then_ we
can think aboot expansion.

Baby steps Bob.

DG