Re: STU/SST - Some Interesting Observations

To: GSMnow@aol.com
Subject: Re: STU/SST - Some Interesting Observations
From: Mark R Jahnke <mjahnke@shrike.depaul.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:40:33 -0500 (CDT)
> Since I am on the digest, I didn't get Mark's reply to my post til this
> morning. I guess I should have said most new comers when I wrote about poor
> times and being disgusted. For a second autocross, stepping into a fast
> class, Mark did very well indeed. First run out was a mid pack raw time, and
> by his third run he was down right competitive. His car is truly what STU was
> developed for. He has an Integra Type R with a Jackson blower kit. His
> suspension is lowered and stiffer, not sure what parts he is using. And he
> was on Yokahama A032R's for a good amount of grip. He even drove to the event
> on them.

My suspension is made from a company inJapancalled Tein.  As far as I
know, there is only one importer in the US for these, and I know of 4
shops that carry them.  I have the green TYPE HA coilover setting.  Lots
of up and down adjustibility, and 16 different stiffness settings!  Woo
hoo!  This suspension rocks!

As for the AO32R's, I probably should not have driven to the event on
them, but I knew that I would be too damn tired to change them at the
event. The group of us that went up to Burlington for the event made the
mistake of staying out 'till 5AM.  I figured it would be a late one so I
swapped my tires out on Saturday.  Man do the Yok's make a lot of noice on
the highway around 80 MPH!

> At this past Sundays event we had a total of 5 drivers in STU cars. 3 drivers
> were in my Turbo Celica, the other two were in separate Supercharged
> Integras. It was alot of fun to see these very different cars go heads up.
> Mark's performance has me looking voer my shoulder as I know he will get
> faster with a few more runs. Our finishing times were pretty good. I did take
> the win with my male co-driver less then a second back, then Mark followed by
> my Future wife in My car. The guy who got last was also at just his second
> event, and we all talked and gave him pointers, he chopped off something like
> 4 seconds from his first to fifth run. He even stuck around and did
> instructional runs where he improved even more.

The guy who came in last was John Gibbons, another Integra driver, and he
too has the Jackson Racing supercharger.

> This was a TSSCC event, and our members make a big effort to help the new
> guys feel welcome and help them along. Next week Chi SCCA has an event and
> most of our same people will be there, also helping the new people. Even
> though I have been at this 12 years, I will never forget my first few times
> out. The way the regulars treat you has a huge impact on how you see the
> sport.

Thanks so much to gary for all his pointers and kind words this weekend!
It's guys like Gary taht keep guys like me going back to events!

Now if I could only be lucky enough to find a woman that is into racing as
much as I am!

Mark