Re: STU/SST - Some Interesting Observations

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: STU/SST - Some Interesting Observations
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 13:05:50 EDT
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:33:30 -0400
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com

<This past weekend was the 1999 Diamond Star Shootout. a two-day orgy of
<drag racing, autocross, and car-shows dedicated to the Diamond Star cars
<y'all love to hate.
<
<This was like the 7th or 8th year this event was run, so it's pretty big. It
<attracts representatives from the Big Three of rice rocket magazines - Turbo,
<Sport Compact Car, and Super Street.
<
<After the first day's drag race, a tech Q&A session is held where all the
major
<tuners form a discussion panel, and people can ask tech questions. This year

I see his points, and you responded well to him.

Serious experienced autocrossers will make new comers think they are out
classed even if it has nothing to do with cars. Making spec courses for
comparison is not going to work. We run a go cart track every year, but even
different weather can change times over a second, then throw in patches and
extended pavement in the apexes for the go kart racers and we have had swings
of several second for the overall. This means all drivers went up and down
alot. Comparing off of a hot shoe, even in a different class is far better.
This is what I did and still do. Pick a few consistent top runners and do
your best to close the gap.

STU seems to be the place for these guys, and I welcome them whenever they
come. I sure hope more come and get more seat time so they can learn to use
their cars, and not get discouraged from a slow start.

Gary M.