Re: STU/SST - Some Interesting Observations

To: mjahnke@shrike.depaul.edu
Subject: Re: STU/SST - Some Interesting Observations
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:45:25 EDT
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 12:24:55 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mark R Jahnke <mjahnke@shrike.depaul.edu>

> Serious experienced autocrossers will make new comers think they are out
> classed even if it has nothing to do with cars. Making spec courses for
> comparison is not going to work. We run a go cart track every year, but
even
> different weather can change times over a second, then throw in patches and
> extended pavement in the apexes for the go kart racers and we have had
swings
> of several second for the overall. This means all drivers went up and down
> alot. Comparing off of a hot shoe, even in a different class is far better.
> This is what I did and still do. Pick a few consistent top runners and do
> your best to close the gap.

<< I don't think that this is always the case Gary.  I was a new comer this
past weekend as you know, and I did not feel out classed at all.  i was
more nervous than anything of making an ass out of myself!  But everyone
at the event was very d and courteous. >>

> STU seems to be the place for these guys, and I welcome them whenever they
> come. I sure hope more come and get more seat time so they can learn to use
> their cars, and not get discouraged from a slow start.

<< A slow start?  What is that!  Hee hee! >>

Since I am on the digest, I didn't get Mark's reply to my post til this
morning. I guess I should have said most new comers when I wrote about poor
times and being disgusted. For a second autocross, stepping into a fast
class, Mark did very well indeed. First run out was a mid pack raw time, and
by his third run he was down right competitive. His car is truly what STU was
developed for. He has an Integra Type R with a Jackson blower kit. His
suspension is lowered and stiffer, not sure what parts he is using. And he
was on Yokahama A032R's for a good amount of grip. He even drove to the event
on them.

At this past Sundays event we had a total of 5 drivers in STU cars. 3 drivers
were in my Turbo Celica, the other two were in separate Supercharged
Integras. It was alot of fun to see these very different cars go heads up.
Mark's performance has me looking voer my shoulder as I know he will get
faster with a few more runs. Our finishing times were pretty good. I did take
the win with my male co-driver less then a second back, then Mark followed by
my Future wife in My car. The guy who got last was also at just his second
event, and we all talked and gave him pointers, he chopped off something like
4 seconds from his first to fifth run. He even stuck around and did
instructional runs where he improved even more.

This was a TSSCC event, and our members make a big effort to help the new
guys feel welcome and help them along. Next week Chi SCCA has an event and
most of our same people will be there, also helping the new people. Even
though I have been at this 12 years, I will never forget my first few times
out. The way the regulars treat you has a huge impact on how you see the
sport.

Gary M.