re-classings

To: Popsracr@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re-classings
From: Brian Priebe <priebe.4@osu.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 22:28:07 -0400
>In a message dated 7/6/99 5:40:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
priebe.4@osu.edu
>writes:

>> So have to agree with Mark Sipe's conclusion of speed maintenance
>>  courses.
>>
>>  There are a few reasons why AS MR2s don't go through turns as well.
>>
>>  1) CS MR2s are around 200 lbs lighter
>>  2) weight is more balanced on NA then on turbo, I think a big key to
NA
>>  MR2s

>That's a very interesting observation Brian.  Due to the success of the
1994+
>Celica ST also being lighter than the equivalent Celica GT has caused
the ST
>to be moved to ES.  With this reasoning, does this warrant cause to
consider
>moving the CS 91+ MR2's to BS or AS?

>OK SCAC guys, let's here your opinions.

>Jim

I have thought for a while that H stock has been needed to be adjusted.
As can be seen at results from Nationals over the years.  there are cars
in Estock that don't have a chance that would be neat cars in H with all
the ringer cars out like the Celica and MX-6/probe.  I broght this up
two years ago at the town hall meeting because H stock and E stock was
suppose to be inexpensive classes.  My reply was a old car pricevs a new
car price were equivalent prices.  I was looking at comparing apples to
apples but whatever.  I guess a few people did not want to look like
they were contradicting what they had just said previously!!! :-)

As for C stock they have something good going and should not ruin it.  I
feel they should have the 1.6 miatas moved back with the MR2s to add
more diversity.  Plus it would add entrants.  The reasoning I heard for
C stock is make a class for affordable sports cars.  the 924S, 944, and
MR2s are pretty even in tour settings I know the rx-7 gsl-se was suppose
to be a competitive car to but it did not pan out so far.  In tour
courses, due to weight I don't think a MR2 NA can run with a equally
set-up 1.8 miata, just as a 1.6 miata can not.  But both 1.6 miatas and
MR2s are getting cheap and are fun and are plenty available.

On most tour courses a NA can not compete against a turbo.  Ayers tour
would have been great to see carter Thompson.  It was a great MR2 course
and neon course.  You just needed big hp too.  Daddio almost beat A
stock should we move him?  People in his class might think so!!!

Now for Pro Solos, King Howie has other problems.  There are course
dependencies coast to coast.  The fast courses in the West make the
Turbo harder to compete in A stock.  The east coust works better for
turbos in A stock.  In the east coast the MR2 in P5 is the better car,
but I feel the miata is better on faster courses.  So the miata is more
the car to have out west.  On some events the C stock car can beat A
stock, on other events it can not, just as comaring cars within a
class.  But for years the miatas have been beating A stock on some
courses, but it was ok.  Just perceptions, the small motor car can't
beat the big motor car and be in the right class!!!!  :-)  I guess it
all depends on your agenda of what you drive and like to drive that will
sway your opinion in what you think is correct.

Brian "I can feel the heat coming" Priebe