classings

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: classings
From: Brian Priebe <priebe.4@osu.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 21:12:03 -0400

>Regarding car classing, the SCAC has a VERY difficult job to do.

Good Point, I whole heartily agree.

>  He mentions 'ringer' HS cars (while many people think
>his 91 MR2 is the ringer CS car.

I agree. Right now it looks like MR2s are the way.  I think the porshes
are equivalent in Solo II settings and kinda screwed in Pros.  Glen
Hernandez has been making some serious strides in his 924s.
Basically I feel there is a real good base to progress with C stock with
adding more cars like 1.6 miatas.

It is hard to establish a base for H stock cars when they have been
beating E stock alot.  The rear drive classes seem to progress down with
pwr and weight where the E/H stock split does not have as clear of
decision.  D and G have been split well for "the best" front drive cars
in D and G being heavy front drive cars (generally).

Your truck point is my exact problem with H stock.  6 yrs ago E stock
was a cool class, pre 318is/neon.  There were a whole slew of
competitive cars.  over teh years newer cars have progessed and left
some of those E stock cars behind (escort GT/protege, 924 audi engine,
GTIs) .  Since there technology can't compete anymore in E, why not make
them the foundation for H.  We can run the trucks in H, but personally I
don't want to see more flip overs and higher entry fees due to insurance
hikes from the roll overs.

Look what moving some of the old 85-87 hondas did.  That was a nice move
and we have seen them resurface and not dominate classes.  Remember
those exact hondas were like A Stock when they came out, someone correct
me if I am wrong.

Pro solo finishes should be for Howard to find classings.  Solo II needs
to be seperate when looking at results in my opinion.  Some cars are
accidently almost designed for pro solos when the engine hovers over the
rear wheels!! :-)

>  Anyone can have my car after
>Nats for $8000, extra wheels included.  Is that too much for a top
HS/ES
>car?  Wanna trade me straight up for your 'affordable' MR2?  <grin>

I guess I will make a plug here.  If interested the Yellow MR2 will be
for sale, and hopefully taken home from Nationals.  8k probably won't
take it home!! :-)

>"I guess it all depends on your agenda of what you drive and like to
>drive that will sway your opinion in what you think is correct."

>Amen, but that's why we have this wonderful forum for debate/learning.

You bet ya!!

--Brian