Re: Saturn timing chain - the real deal

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Saturn timing chain - the real deal
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 18:46:51 CDT

Loren Williams wrote:

> It almost seems as if you're being sarcastic here... and yet it seems
> that you aren't.
>
> You do realize that the percentage of the general population that lacks
> scruples far outweighs the percentage that has them?  Are you saying
> that a dealer service manager should take EVERYONE who claims to take
> their vehicle maintenance seriously at their word about oil changes?  In
> a perfect world, this would work.

No need to get reactionary, or defensive.  By what you (Loren) wrote,
I think the tensioner failed, and I hope we'll be able to document enough
oil changes and prove that she met the maintenance schedule, and get some
satisfaction from Saturn.  If I give him confidence that reasonable care was
exercised, I feel that he's willing to be my advocate.

Yet the guy didn't mention how extroardinarily unlikely this failure was,
and Saturn's recourse for a claim, until someone a bit more savvy (me)
went in to talk to him.  He was clearly ready to let my wife pay in full,
make her feel guilty for not having all her work done there, and try to
sell her/us excessive service.  I can't feel 100% good about that.  Alan
is correct in picking up on that.

I know he's biased by the vast population who basically gas and go, and he
doesn't know me, so I'll cut him some slack.  As usual, caveat emptor.
I still want to know where that 3 month oil change schedule comes from.
I'll have a cow if that's in the owner's manual.
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                         Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                              ITDS - TRIS