Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>, <werace4u@aol.com>
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class
From: "Ron and Angie" <nottingham@alltel.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 22:20:06 -0400
>1.   There exists a popular and growing demographic of motorsports
participants:
>the "Import Drag" or "Sport Compact Car" population.

The "rice rocket" rags already promote AX!!!  SCC (Sport CompactCar) has
monthly articles on AX and has had for over a year now.

>Appendix A
>
>Vehicle Eligibility - any front engine, four (or more) seat sedan (meaning
2 or
>4 doors and a hard top) with a displacement not exceeding 2.5l
>turbocharged/supercharged or 4.0l naturally aspirated.*
>*these displacements are not graven in stone - comments welcome

Why not allow 2-seaters?  Further down the text, you said "must retain 2
full size seats", I would interpret that as being able to remove the back
seat.  Plus, all those CRX's and Miata's would have to meet the minimum
weight, right?  If min weight is 2300lbs. then they would need to have about
700lbs. of ballast! ;-)  Why not increase the displacement for forced
induction engines to 3.0L and NA to 4.5L?  The hot imports are now coming
with 3.0L V6's (Honda Accord, Toyota Solara).  Have min weight's like these:

      2300# - 4 cyl. or early rotary NA
      2500# - 6 cyl. or late rotary NA
      2600# - 4 cyl. forced induction
      2800# - 6 cyl. or rotary forced induction
      3000# - 8 cyl. NA only (no forced induction)
      Add 50# for each .1L over the displacement limits for sixes
      Add 300# for each .1L over the displacement limits for eights
      Add 200# for AWD
      Limit one turbo or supercharger, no twins or turbo/super combos

Effectively, this lets the Pontiac GTP's come out to play, and with a min
weight of 3200# for it, could have a place to be competitive (stock GTP's
weigh 3500#? right?).  Plus, T-Bird SC's could play or other cars like the
late SHO with a 3.4L V8, or the Aurora V8, or the SC400, but cars like V8
'Stangs, F-Bodies, 300ZX TT, Supra TT, 3000 VR4 could not compete or weight
restrictions would render them uncompetitve.  Nothing against the affore
mentioned cars, but limits need to be placed somewhere.  It would also limit
engine swaps like a Supra TT engine in an SC300, a 300ZX TT engine in an
Infiniti M30, or a 3000GT VR4 engine in a Galant.

>   b)   Stock (factory provided) cylinder heads must be used [I'm
considering
>banning ported heads. Comments? -DG]

Why?  Any competitive NA cars would need some head work.  You're going all
out with forced induction, might as well have head work.

>   c)   Superchargers and turbochargers are open, subject to the
displacement
>limit

Limit to either one turbo or one supercharger, no twins or turbo/super
combos.

>   d)   Nitrous oxide equipment may be fitted, but the bottle must be
removed
>from the car before competition.

Nitrous has no place in AX, bottles should be left at home!  The differences
between drag racing and AX are too great.  Drag racing can handle nitrous
because the race is 95% WOT, but AX is not.  Ever see an engine blow apart
from nitrous when the throttle is closed and the nitrous is still pumping?

>Driveline - Any transmission, differential(s) and driveline, provided that
the
>number and location of driven wheels remains Stock (FWD remains FWD, RWD
remains
>RWD, AWD remains AWD) Any brakes are allowed.

How would you police update/backdate?  For example, Ford offered AWD in the
Tempo up to '91, from '92 on a V6 was offered, but no AWD V6 model.  What if
I had a '91 with AWD, swap in the later six, add a turbo or SC and have THE
car for the series (however unlikely), but what about the poor chap with the
'92 Tempo?  Could he backdate to the AWD?  Would only seem fair.  But this
would only concern a few vehicles, Galant, Subarus, Tempo, 325, and Audis
come immediately to mind.  Maybe a better wording would be the number and
location of the drive wheels remain stock for the model.  That way a
Mitsubishi Mirage couldn't have the entire Eclipse GSX driveline.

BTW, I would like a class where I could be competitive (somewhat) in both AX
and drags, since I love both!  Some of the mods I need for drags, aren't
allowed in AX. The SST class would be a great place to play!

Ron and Angie - Dalton, Ga
84 300ZX Turbo     92 Tempo GLS
IZCC# 4779   TLS#30