Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?

To: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 16:31:13 -0400

Matt Murray wrote:

> Ohh boy, time to disagree with Paul Foster. :^)
>
> Daddio and Leverone.
>
> Leverone, in the early nineties, starts AX'ing at New England Region
> events. Smokes just about everything insight with a well aged 280ZX. I
> remember he beat a few of my A (then B) Stock times in the MR2.
> -( Fast forward a year or two later and rolls said ZX at a AX held
> within the confines of a oval track (w/cement walls). In the next
> issue of the local sanctioning body's newsletter, he apologizes for
> stopping the event due to the roll. This is the "Nice Guy" department,
> too. These days, if I beat Nick in raw time, I consider it a "Good
> Day".
>
> Daddio. (and Ames, too).
> Was fast from the word go. I think he may have started with my local
> club (Fairfield County Sports Car Club -- http://www.fcscc.com ). Was
> fast then as now. Rookie of the Year in the late eighties at
> Nationals.
>
> Most of us have to work real hard to be fast. The above are just a few
> who are naturally fast. The stinger is when they prep a car well. I
> hope that Mssrs. Daddio/Leverone/Ames, etc. have no desires to enter
> the A Stock fray. :^)

I am cursed to go through life always being misunderstood. (Or at least
I should take the time to actually read my own stuff before hitting the
'send' key.) ;-)

But either way I was not trying to say that natural talent does not
exist. I just don't think it is a necessity as Phil implied. For the
rest of us tenacity and desire are the keys along with getting
instruction from people who know what to do. Anybody can become a
national champion given enough time. The examples of people who were
initially slowpokes who then became champs far outnumbers the raw
talents who did the same.

Paul Foster