RE: Fw: SOLO 1 - Closed vs Open Cars

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Fw: SOLO 1 - Closed vs Open Cars
From: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:11:49 -0500
>>SIIR 12.6 (Automotive definitions: page 86, '99 rule book)

A.      An open car is a convertible (with or without a full windshield), a
targa-top-type car with less than a full windshield, or a T-top-type car
with less than a full windshield.

B.      A closed car is one with a full roof, a targa-top-type car with a full
windshield, or a T-top-type car with a full windshield.<<

Thanks, Josh, for shedding some light on the subject.  Now on to
interpretation. :-)

According to my interpretation, with the hardtop bolted in place my TR-6 fits
"B" above.  Obviously, some agree, since I and others have been allowed to
compete that way (though I've never tried it in SCCA).

I'm assuming from the conversation so far that there are some with other
opinions.  Now that we have the facts, is there anyone who cares to dispute
that my hardtopped TR-6 (or any other hardtopped roadster) does NOT fit firmly
into "B"?

What is really lacking now is a clear definition of "convertible".  My
hardtopped TR-6 has a "full roof".  Is it still a "convertible"?  If so does it
fit into both (or either) group?  Any hardboiled tech inspectors out there that
want to take a stab at it?

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!
'96 Ford SVT Cobra, Mystic #1345/2000 (mostly stock)
'72 Triumph TR-6 OD (mostly modified)
'59 Triumph Model 10 Sedan (mostly in boxes)