Re: SOLO 1 - Closed vs Open Cars

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SOLO 1 - Closed vs Open Cars
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 15:31:44 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>

I said:

>>>This isn't an official definition (I've never seen one), but IMO, a
closed car has a roof which is an intergal part of the structure.
Removeable
>factory tops wouldn't qualify.>>

Tom replies:

>Midwest Council and VSCDA accept hardtop equipped sports cars as closed
cars, I don't have any first hand experience with other groups.  According
to your definition T-tops and targas would be open cars....

No.  Targas and T-tops *do* have a roof structure integrated with the rest
of the body shell.  Porsche and Fiat made 911s, 914s and X 1/9s into targas
because they believed Federally-mandated rollover protection would prevent
them from selling open top cars.

>I have always wondered about the cars with glass tops.  They race under
closed car rules, but in a roll over will revert to open car status when the
glass shatters.  Hmmmmmm.

Good question.  I'd say the question hinges on what holds the glass up -- if
it's a part of the bodyshell, like glass-topped 911s, then the roof
structure shouldn't collapse.

>Yes, you could argue that my hardtop could be torn off in a rollover, I
would argue that it is securely attached with grade 8 fasteners.

It may not come off, but will it collapse?  That's the real threat in
rollovers.  The roof stays attached, but the headroom's kind of short.  Of
course, there's no guarantee that a fixed tin top won't collapse (saw this
happen to an airplane I was supposed to be in later the same day....), but
the chances are better the structure will take the load.  And advertising
aside, *I* don't trust the windshield header to hold things up by itself.

>No, I am not willing to give it a go! LOL

Aww -- where's your thirst for knowledge?! :)

Jamie (former terminal velocity test pilot -- digging holes deeper!)
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr