RE: Fwd: Protest Oil Companies

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Fwd: Protest Oil Companies
From: "Bradley H. Lamont" <lamont@xnet.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:03:37 -0500
At 02:41 PM 4/9/99 , John Steczkowski said:

>I've got news for you. I moved from Austin, TX when regular unleaded was
>$1.10/gallon to Portland Oregon where gas was $1.50 or more a gallon.

This is an interesting point.  What price would gas have to rise to before
fuel economy became an issue for most drivers?

My car usually takes about 12 gallons.  So going from $1.10 to $1.50 (which
is about what its done here in Chicago), raises the fill up cost from
$13.20 to $18.  Not a big deal.

But what if gas went up to $4.00/gallon like in most other industrial
nations?  Then it would be $48 per fill up.  That would probably be enough
to get me to consider gas mileage on my next car.

What about the general population?  At what price do SUVs become less
attractive - at $4/gallon an SUV costs over $100 to fill up.

Brad
Bradley Lamont
email: lamont@xnet.com