Re: Camcorder for autox

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Camcorder for autox
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:48:38 -0800
I also got an RCA, but I went with the RCA rebadged Video 8 unit. Having
used camcorders for a 17 years now (wore one out), I decided certain
features had a large value for family use.

In my order of importance:
1. Clarity of picture. Somethings you will want to keep forever. Get the
best picture and sound you can afford. I went with Hi-8 and Hi-Fi
stereo. The picture is a huge jump in quality over regular Video 8. If
you compare different camcorders video quality, make sure you include
low light in your test.

2. Battery type. After spending a lot of money on replacement Nicads
(expensive...) and running out of batteries at a bad time, I grew to
hate this on my old camcorder. The new RCA uses a non-memory battery
technology AND for me the coolest feature, it alternately runs on AA
batteries. So I can run to any convenience store and grab new batteries
if my primary battery runs out.

3. Flip Out LCD screen. Nice for me to quickly review what the run was
like or share something. Often, the LCD is all I use for playback. You
can even watch a small movie on it. 8-) My flip out screen also rotates
so I can tape at various angles. This takes getting used to, but so does
holding a small camcorder in front of your eye.

4. VHS compatibility. Sorry, I really have little use for that. I don't
mind pluggin the camera in for playback, and I would do that anyway for
dubbing to VHS. My VCRs have front panel inputs.

5. Remote. Handy for home use. I never use it for taping though, but my
kids like to play with it and tape themselves using the remote.

I paid about $490 for an RCA HI-8, Hi-Fi, Dual Battery, Flip Out Color
LCD, Remote, Tripod, Case.

Now, I have just started looking at an alternative for autocross. The
Sony Mavica Digital camera saves to standard floppy disk, and can record
about 60 seconds of digital audio/video. I can see just swapping
floppies between runs, and you still have a digital camera for quick
uploading of JPEGS and movie files to your webpage. Right now this
camera is in the high $600s. If it did 120 seconds, it might be a great
idea for autocrossing.

More thoughts.

Randy Chase (for those paying attention <G>, my wife went *back* into
surgery today, but it went very well, I will be at San Bernardino
tomorrow...clear I-15..alert the cones)
Petrified Tires Racing
San Diego
'91 MR2 CS