Camcorder for autox

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Camcorder for autox
From: "Meyer, Brian J" <Brian.Meyer@Wichita.BOEING.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:05:29 -0600
About a month ago, my wife decided that we really should get a video camera
to record the priceless moments of our kids growing up (ages 2 and 5). I had
to agree - though I was thinking of how great it was gonna be to finally
have in-car recording! :-)

Which brings me to my question. What features should I look for in a
camcorder?

I'd like to be able to review my run just after completing it. I could
probably use a LCD flip-out screen but since the camera will probably be
behind my head it may be difficult to view from the drivers seat.

Speaking of the LCD screens, most that I've seen don't reverse the image
left-to-right when you flip the screen over for viewing from the front. This
means a mirrored image of the course would be played back. I've only seen
one unit that reverses the image side-to-side and top-to-bottom when I flip
the screen over. It's a ProScan Hi-8, but it costs a bit more then I want to
spend.

I'd like to be able to put the video output on my PC. Will I need high
quality format (Hi-8) to do this?

Would a remote camera offer any advantage?

Finally, I'd like to keep the total cost under $500. Is this even feasible?

Since this topic comes up on the list nearly twice a year or so (I shoulda
been paying more attention last time) please respond direct. If you're
interested in the same subject, send me a note and I'll forward you the

Thanks,
Brian Meyer
'90 CRX si - CSP
Wichita Region SCCA