Re: Helmet Questions

To: "H. Rodney Spear" <hrspear@coastalnet.com>
Subject: Re: Helmet Questions
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:55:40 -0700
"H. Rodney Spear" wrote:

> I need somehelp with the purchase of my first helmet.  My options where
> I'm located are somewhat limited.  My questions are:
>
> 1) Is anyone familiar with KBC?  The TK7 is the least expensive Snell 95
> rated helmet I've been able to find around here...is $105 reasonable?

        There are certainly a number of snell aproved helmets out there for
under $100. I've never heard of KBC, but HJC is a very popular
innexpensive helmet brand, and they're not half bad. Make certain that
the helmet really does have SNELL certification. ANSI or DOT
certification doesn't cut it, and won't pass tech. For SCCA autox (and
many other clubs), No SNELL, no drive.

> 2) The medium fit ok, a bit snug, while the large was pretty comfortable
> too.  The dealer recomended I go with the medium as the foam will
> compress as it breaks in and the large would be too big eventually.  I
> only plan on using it for autocrossing, drivers schools, track days,etc.
> 6-10 days per year (if I'm lucky), how likely is it I'm going to break it
> in any time in the next few years?

        First off, make certain that the helmet is sung, but comfortable. Pay
careful attention to any tight spots or edges in the helmet. It may feel
ok at first, but after an hour, it'll really suck. Everybody's head is
shaped a little differently and not all helmets are made with the same
shape. The sales person is right though about the foam compressing, but
not by a whole lot. The helmet should be snug. Snug to the point where
if you were to tug on the chinbar (or face edge) that your head follows
the helmet. If you can move the helmet on your head with your head
staying still, it's too loose. Conversely if the helmet squeezes your
head into uncomfortable pressures, then it's obviously too tight.

        As for cost? Well, there are two sayings. "You get what you pay for" is
always true no matter what the product is. But my favorite is "If you've
got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet.". I'm a firm believer in the latter
saying (from personal experience), and although SoloII presents you with
extreemly minimal hazards, it's not 100% safe. There does exist the
remote possibility that you may find need of that helmet (rare as that
is), and in that event, you'll find that the extra $ you spent on the
next step up helmet just paid off. And when you find yourself going on
to the big track (drivers ed and open track days), the potential for an
unpleasant incedent goes up.

        My advice? (for what it's worth) Get the best helmet you can afford. If
you never have to need it, then at least everyone can see you've got a
really cool helmet. It'll generally cost you a pair of tires at the
most. And if, god forbid, that you ever need to make use of your lid,
you'll be able to walk away from whatever happened, remove your helmet,
and admire the great job it did in keeping you from serious injury. Then
go out, get a new one and keep drivin'! :-)

        Good luck, be safe,and have fun!

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/