Re: R&T #3: The G-Force T/A R1 is "street-usable"?

To: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Subject: Re: R&T #3: The G-Force T/A R1 is "street-usable"?
From: Alan Pozner <apozner@epix.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 09:07:46 -0500
Brian M Kennedy wrote:

> In a sidebar in the Feb issue of R&T, they assert that the new
> g-Force T/A R1 was designed to be "street-usable".  As someone
> trying to pick an "R" tire to try as my street tires during
> this next autox season, I'd like to hear the opinions of those
> who've actually driven the new tires....
>
> Here's an excerpt from R&T:
>
>         "...
>         The g-Force is DOT street-legal; what's more, it's "street usable".
>         Comparing its overall performance with the Comp T/A ZR, for
>         instance, it's said to equal this street tire's wet performance,
>         trade away only a slight amount of its wear and comfort and, of
>         course, far exceed its handling limits in the dry."
>
> This was from a sidebar titled "BFGoodrich g-Force T/A R1".
>
> So, do you guys who've driven them by off on this??  Or is this just
> marketing BS?
>
> If the above is true, are there any other disadvantages to making it my
> street tire (besides its mere 3/32 tread, reduced wear life, and reduced
> comfort)??  How bad is the tire about picking up road debris and pelting
> the car?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian "I'll need new tires by March" Kennedy

I too read the sidebar. I think its BS.

I have now driven my BFG GForce R1s in one Auto-x. I liked 'em but my
limited experience with R tires makes my opinion kind of meaningless
compared to more veteran drivers. I did drive the tires about 5 miles on
the street (up to about 80mph). I'd say they were borderline streetable.
They are pretty much non compliant (they don't act like springs as
normal street tires do) They were noticeably noisy. But they were fun.

The big thing is I would be absolutely petrified in any RAIN. After just
one event the tread around the edge of the tire is basically gone. The
inside tread is intact but noticeably lower than the new 3/32" There is
no way that these treads could channel any amount of water out of the
way of the tire. I can't see how you could avooid aquaplaning in even
the lightest drizzle. Now if you live in the desert....

Regards,
Alan
'93 ES delSol