R&T #3: The G-Force T/A R1 is "street-usable"?

To: AutoX Digest <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: R&T #3: The G-Force T/A R1 is "street-usable"?
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 01:10:42 -0600
In a sidebar in the Feb issue of R&T, they assert that the new
g-Force T/A R1 was designed to be "street-usable".  As someone
trying to pick an "R" tire to try as my street tires during
this next autox season, I'd like to hear the opinions of those
who've actually driven the new tires....

Here's an excerpt from R&T:

        "the g-Force T/A R1 replaces the championship-winning
        Comp T/A R1, albeit with a somewhat different philosophy.<p>
        The intent of the g-Force is to occupy the niche between
        traditional high-performance street tires (e.g., the Comp T/A ZR)
        and those deemed "DOT-street-legal," but barely so.  Compared
        with its Comp T/A R1 predecessor, the g-Force is said to provide
        faster turn-in, enhanced predictability, improved dry traction
        and better braking, all translating into more consistent lap
        times. <p>
        The g-Force is DOT street-legal; what's more, it's "street usable".
        Comparing its overall performance with the Comp T/A ZR, for
        instance, it's said to equal this street tire's wet performance,
        trade away only a slight amount of its wear and comfort and, of
        course, far exceed its handling limits in the dry."

This was from a sidebar titled "BFGoodrich g-Force T/A R1".

So, do you guys who've driven them by off on this??  Or is this just
marketing BS?

If the above is true, are there any other disadvantages to making it my
street tire (besides its mere 3/32 tread, reduced wear life, and reduced
comfort)??  How bad is the tire about picking up road debris and pelting
the car?

Thanks,

Brian "I'll need new tires by March" Kennedy