GT6 Mk3 in CSP

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 Mk3 in CSP
From: Gemery@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:36:08 EST
>How competitive is a Triumph GT6 in C Street Prepared?

As much as I'm fond of the beasts, they're probably not competitive these
days.  Biggest hurdle is getting fender clearance in the front for really wide
rims/tires; however, the Spitfire guys seem to manage.  Second biggest hurdle
is power... I think it's safe to assume that the pushrod motor will peak out
at around 120-130 HP with triple Webers trying to push a 1900 lb (1969's
weight, add 50 lbs for later cars) nose heavy car.  Radiator is weenie and
transmission is weak.  Steering rate is slow.

Postive things to say about that 6-cylinder 2-liter: wide torque band, high
rev range (6500 rpm), excellent exhaust note, low center of gravity, excellent
durability.  If you choose to build a CSP GT-6, buy a torsen limited slip in
the overdrive differential ratio, but use a nonoverdrive transmission.  Remove
any brake booster and build up your leg muscles.

I've never understood why the TR-6 is in DSP while the GT-6 is in CSP.  TR-6
has better acceleration and, in SP trim, similar handling.

>...have any of these run at Topeka in recent years?

I don't think any have run at Nationals in the past decade or more.

George "sold my '69 to buy a Justy in 1992" Emery
http://members.aol.com/gemery/scorpion.html