Re: Fw: 18" rubber? Talk amongst yerselves ;-)

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: 18" rubber? Talk amongst yerselves ;-)
From: "A.J. Rystad" <ajrystad@2xtreme.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:39:13 -0700 (MST)
At 11:53 AM 1/27/99 -0600, Eric Linnhoff wrote:
>>> I'd much rather remove the after-market wheel allowance altogether!
>>
>>> Mark >>
>>
>> I don't agree with you on that one. We're talking about going one
>direction
>>or the other. Allowing different wheel diameters would actually be a bad
>thing
>>for me because I'm in a class that has as close to a SPEC wheel as you're
>>going to get. I think there was one Neon at Nat's that didn't have AR-24's
>and
>>even then he was on AR-25's.
>----------------------
>And wasn't one of the Molliker ladies running a custom Centerline wheel?
>Hey, the AR-24 is cheap (often under $75 each), light (about 13 pounds?),
>and plentiful.  Of course American racing went and screwed all the Neon
>racers by changing the offset to a Stock class illegal 33mm instead of the
>earlier legal 35mm offset.  I know cuz I gotta take a set to my local
>machine shop and have them mill at least 0.65mm off of the hub to make them
>legal.  I'll probably have them just take the whole 2mm off just to be safe.
>Oh BTW, I called American Racing and they said that when they changed the
>offset specs that they just added an extra 2mm of cast aluminum alloy to the
>prior molds so having the 2mm milled off shouldn't affect wheel integrity.
>Of course it will void the warranty but then racing does that anyway.

35mm-33mm = 2mm.

2mm = 0.0787in

Stock class allowance for offset variance is  +/- 0.25in

Last time I checked 0.0787 is less than 0.25.  Why do you need to mill the
hub?  Is 35mm the minimum limit, ie the stock offset is ~41mm?

I don't own a Neon, I'm just trying to figure out why 2mm puts you out of
stock.

A.J. Rystad
1992 MR2T AS