Re: Fw: 18" rubber? Talk amongst yerselves ;-)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: 18" rubber? Talk amongst yerselves ;-)
From: PaxsACR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:13:45 EST
In a message dated 1/26/99 4:14:49 PM Central Standard Time,
msirota@isc.upenn.edu writes:
-----------
<< PaxsACR@aol.com wrote:
 > Why not allow any size wheel diameter in Stock?

 Because then everyone would have to buy lots of wheels and tires in
 order to test all the possibilities?>>

We do that now already.....

 <<Because then the guy off the street would be that much further from the
 ideal setup?>>

The guy off the street, if he wants to be competitive, is going to have to buy
wheels and tires anyway. So now the extra set he or she has to buy just might
be a different diameter.

 <<Because it just doesn't make much sense?>>

If you'll state your argument for that statement, I'll respond to it. I think
it makes as much sense as any of the other rules in Stock class that allow you
to run something different from what came from the factory.

<< ... I think the same arguments used to allow any shock could also
 > apply to wheel diameter.>

 Wheels are a wear item?>>

Yup, ever hear of potholes, curbs, juvenile delinquents. Name the 2 most
commonly changed items on a car- the radio, and the wheels

 <<> Anybody that is serious about this sport buys another set of wheels
 > anyway.

 So they have a set of factory wheels they can use for race rubber, and
 they can use their new wheels for the street.

 I'd much rather remove the after-market wheel allowance altogether!

 Mark >>

        I don't agree with you on that one. We're talking about going one
direction
or the other. Allowing different wheel diameters would actually be a bad thing
for me because I'm in a class that has as close to a SPEC wheel as you're
going to get. I think there was one Neon at Nat's that didn't have AR-24's and
even then he was on AR-25's.
        When I put this idea out there, I'm thinking of the big picture, and in
this
case giving us more of an option seems better, becase it allows more cars to
be competitive. Not allowing any wheel changes would make less cars
competitive. Just look at Showroom Stock, they are allowing Trunk Kits in
order to let more cars be competitive. Why shouldn't we follow the club racing
example to a point.

Pax 98 ACR 41-DS