Re: Solo 2 Schedule

To: DirtyDogg1@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Solo 2 Schedule
From: mikelowe@pop.c-com.net
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:28:00 +0000
> Hey, guys, I'm brand spankin new to the list, and I have _never_  autoX'ed in
> my entire life, but, I am VERY eager to get into some parking lot races and
> attack some bright orange cones  >: )

     Uhh... we're supposed to MISS the cones.  Two second penalty
each.  ;-)

>    I live in Charlotte, NC, and I have
> no clue when, or where the events take place around here.  If some of you guys
> could shed some light on the schedule, or even better where I could get my own
> schedule (for the east coast) it would be much appreciated.

     Go to www.autocross.com.  They have a car club finder.  They
also have tables on car classes.  Read the FAQ of autox and the
Novice Handbook.  They will answer dozens of questions.  Also visit
www.scca.org.

> Also, I don't
> know the differences in the classes either, and don't know which class my car
> would be in.  I have a 1990 Acura Integra 5spd with the following
> modifications:
> Header,

     The header bumps you out of Stock classes and into at least
Street Prepared.

> Cams,

     Oh, now we're in Prepared classes at a minimum.  Looks like E
Prepared to me after consulting autocross.com.

> Ram Air/Cold Air Intake, TB, Exhaust, High Flow Cat, NOS
> Nitrous,

     Nitrous is never allowed in autocrosses.  Leave the bottle and
as much hardware as possible at home.  Your car will be closely
examined at tech (the technical safety inspection done before each
event).  I've seen a car get into an accident due to nitrous.  The
NO2 kit made the throttle stick.  The bottle wasn't even in the car.
Just bad hardware/installation.

> Underdrive Pulley, Clutch, 1.75 inch drop, front upper tie bar,
short
> shifter, 17'' rims (and a set of 14's, to possibly hook up some big fat
> hoosiers :).

     It looks like you'd be in E Prepared.  But Prepared has some
restrictions.  Take a look at the rules for Street Touring.  Maybe
you can change the car to fit those rules.  But not immediately.
Just go to events and have fun for a while.  Worry about technical
minutia later on.  But the nitrous definitely has to go on event day.

I have an autox page on my website too.

Mike Lowe    mikelowe@phoenix.net    http://www.phoenix.net/~mikelowe
Texas A&M Sports Car Club    Houston Region SCCA    Miata Club of America
'96 Miata R   BS 93