Re: Turbo DSM vs. AWD in G Stock

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Turbo DSM vs. AWD in G Stock
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:16:44 -0500

> From: joe goeke <joe_goeke@hotmail.com>

>> We've found the A4 clutch to be quite durable.  We normally don't >> smell
anything ;-) as long as we launch correctly to not overpower >> or "spin" it on
Pro launches.

> My Quantum Syncro has 120,000 miles on it.  My parts car has 246,000 > miles
on it.  Near as I can tell, they each have the factory clutch.  > Guess those
Audi guys like to build tough clutches.

...or maybe you're not launching hard enough.

I'm not trying to be snippy, I'm just woundering if any of the Audi Quattro guys
ever tried going to a dragstrip and using the 60' times to tune their launch
technique. I had been drag racing my Talon for about a year before I got into
ProSolo, so I had already scientifically determined the optimum launch point.

On a GS AWD Talon, that optimum point is 6500 RPM and dump the clutch. You
occasionally get a little wheelspin that way, but wheelspin at 6500 turns out to
be faster than no wheelspin at 4500 - I have timeslips to prove it.

I actually would prefer to launch at about 7500, but at 6600 the car starts
creeping forward, and that causes problems with rolling out of the lights,
messing up reaction times, redlighting, and driver frustration - so 6500 it is.

This year, I dunno *what* I'm going to launch at, as I'm running much more
rubber under the car, and I'm afraid of snapping an axle. I wish I could find a
clutch that had little to no wear, but slipped just a little under high load.
"Clutch as a fuze" I've looked at carbon/ceramic clutches, but they grab like
bastards. :(

You should see the look you get from the cluch guys when you tell them you want
a clutch that slips and lasts forever. :)

Anyway, I can't help but wonder if that Audi would go faster if it wasn't being
babied all the time. Drive it like ya hate it Joe! :)

DG