Re: Your letter on 18" rubber

To: Scotty *BOB* White <we2fat4asp@seanet.com>
Subject: Re: Your letter on 18" rubber
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:06:06 -0600
Scotty *BOB* White wrote:?

>    Yes and very good point Pat, BUT, there is already a precident on the
> 12"/13" rule and weakness is hardly compared to not being able to compete
> for lack of rubber.

The point is somewhat moot I suppose due to the impending 18" sizes
coming on line.  (According to the other guys anyway...don't know
myself) BUT,

The 12/13 rule would seem to appease those few stubborn rascals who
refuse to "let go" by grandathering in some obsolete equipment, (how
many models does that rule help?  How many actively produced cars does
it help?) while the 18" on up sizes are an emerging and competitively
threatening technology that is in production. I would tend to wiegh one
against the other with different scales.  The tire companies will change
with the customers needs, whether it is dropping 12" sizes due to being
obsolete or adding 18" sizes because they are new.  Either way the guys
with 10" wheels, and the 19" wheels are outta luck.

Like I said, probably don't matter now, but I thought I would take a
stab at it anyway. :)
-
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese