Re: Which radios to buy?

To: "Team. net" <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Which radios to buy?
From: "Alex Quirk" <vquirk@penn.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:39:48 -0500
Fred,

    The relatively new FRS (Family Radio Service) Radios are Ideal for what
we are doing...there are 14 channels available... more than 30  Squelch
Tones (CTSS)   which prevents you from hearing others
communications...Important on course...and the Motorola 'hunting' versions
which sell for roughly $130 each are rugged and somewhat water-resistant
<and some are camoflauged for undercover work...  ;-)    >
...get Ni-cad or Renewal<preferable-don't require full discharge before
recharge...> AA's for them and a charger...
most use 3 AA's....get some extra batteries just in case one goes dead on
course...

    The built in 3" <quarter-wave High-Gain> antenna is equivalent to a 9
foot antenna on CB(27Mhz) giving at least 1 mile range on 300 milliwatts of
output which saves on batteries compared to 1W and 2W business bands...they
should easily last all day...FRS does not require a license...

    The Business band radios MUST be licensed and can be confiscated by the
FCC if they are not...along with a fine...if You are unlucky enough to get
caught.....without a license...

Alex Quirk TLS#2