Tire musing... Kuhmo!?!

To: nw_autox-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Tire musing... Kuhmo!?!
From: Bret Dodson <bret@serv.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:50:01 -0800 (PST)
I'm thinking about what brand of tires to use on my Miata next year.  I
know that the Hoosiers are fast (for a little while), the BFGis probably
fast (similar life to the old R1), what about Kuhmo...

I tried a set of used Kuhmos last year and didn't like 'em very much. I
found that I was having trouble getting them up to operating temp.  They
wouldn't be very sticky until I had taken a couple of runs.  I was able to
make them go as fast as BFGs (IMO) but only at practice events where I was
able to have 10 or 12 runs.  The 10 or 12 runs it took, could have been
both warming the tires and calibrating the steering wheel oscillator  :-)

Anyway, now I'm thinking about what to do for tires this year.  My first
inclination is to just go with BFG again, which is what I'll probably do.
But, I'd love to be able to buck the trend and be a Miata racer doing
something different.  I haven't seen any other Miata guys using Kuhmos,
why?  My thought was that the car was too light for the tire's compound to
work properly, what do you think?

I'm cheap and would love to get the competitive lifespan these tires are
reputed to have.  Have the Miata guys just avoided these tires because
they are new?  Could my used set have been too old to be a good test set?

Bret "gotta be different" Dodson
'96 Miata R (hoping to be a fast guy this year)
Seattle, WA