Re: why adjust my Konis?

To: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>
Subject: Re: why adjust my Konis?
From: Jamie Sculerati <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:36:08 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Eric Linnhoff wrote:

> Why do we get adjustable shocks and struts for our autocross cars?  Don't we
> simply want to select the stiffest most bone-jarring, non body-rolling, keep
> the body flat and stable setting while on an autocross course?

Not necessarily.  Remember that shocks affect the *rate* of suspension
movement, thus to some extent, the rate of body roll.  This allows the
suspension to keep the tires planted (more or less) squarely as weight
shifts over them.  With too stiff shocks, that weight transistion is more
abrupt and will load up the tire more quickly, leading to the
tire exceeding it's critical slip angle earlier.  Less compliance also
upsets the suspension over uneven surfaces (not all autocross pavement is
smooth!).

Although shocks won't affect ultimate steady-state body roll, you can tune
transient response by varying shock stiffness, too -- and most autocross
maneuvers are transient.  So for earth-sniffing front-drivers like yours
and mine, stiffening the rear shocks over the front ones induces a bit of
transient oversteer (or at least reduces the tendency to imitate a
snowplow).

> I haven't yet ordered them for my Neon but I will soon.  The Konis that I
> want are the 5(?) position rebound(?) adjustable just as delivered on the
> ACRs.  How do I adjust them for optimum performance?

Talk to people...and test alot.  Your settings will depend on your car and
driving -- although, of course, other Neon drivers can help you.

> Should the struts be adjusted to different settings for asphalt vs. concrete
> surfaces?  How about for "fast" (big sweepers and long straights) vs. "slow"
> (curvy and technical) courses?  How about choosing front vs. rear stiffness
> settings?  Does tire selection make a difference?

Yes -- multiple times.

> Do I have to relearn a whole different "tuning" procedure for setting tire
> pressures with different strut stiffness settings?

Depends on how often you readust the struts.  Adjust them first, then
fool with the tires.  You can have loads of fun and frustration finding
the right combination for every nuance of different courses, or you can
settle on a few (or one!) setting and work with your driving technique
from there.

> Or are the settings just going to be mainly a driver preference sort of
> thing?

That too....

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si