why adjust my Konis?

To: "autocross list" <autox@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: why adjust my Konis?
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:19:09 -0800
Rudimentary basic newbie question.

Why do we get adjustable shocks and struts for our autocross cars?  Don't we
simply want to select the stiffest most bone-jarring, non body-rolling, keep
the body flat and stable setting while on an autocross course?

I haven't yet ordered them for my Neon but I will soon.  The Konis that I
want are the 5(?) position rebound(?) adjustable just as delivered on the
ACRs.  How do I adjust them for optimum performance?

Should the struts be adjusted to different settings for asphalt vs. concrete
surfaces?  How about for "fast" (big sweepers and long straights) vs. "slow"
(curvy and technical) courses?  How about choosing front vs. rear stiffness
settings?  Does tire selection make a difference?

Do I have to relearn a whole different "tuning" procedure for setting tire
pressures with different strut stiffness settings?

Or are the settings just going to be mainly a driver preference sort of
thing?

Please, educate me.  Lord knows that I need it.   ;^)

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Running my rig around ninety-five
Rockin' and rollin' in overdrive
My heart's beating like a jackhammer
It's the midnight ride for the gear jammer
"Gear Jammer"  George Thorogood & The Destroyers