Re: 2 questions

To: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>
Subject: Re: 2 questions
From: Doug Mallory <rdmallory@earthling.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 07:20:09 -0500

Eric Linnhoff wrote:

> Two quick question for y'all, one classical and one hypotestical.
>
> 1. Shelby AC Cobra replica with tube frame, carbon fiber body and modern 5.0
> EFI Ford drivetrain.  EM or what?

Your Right EM

> 2. To shift or not to shift?  That is the question.  Let's say that I'm
> nearing the end of a long straight and I've reached the redline in 2nd gear
> in my car (7000 rpms, rev limiter smacks me in the face at 7250 rpms) but
> I've got some distance yet before I arrive at my braking point before the
> corner.  Say 50-60 yards or so.  Just enough time to shift up to 3rd for a
> very short time and then of course have to shift right back down to 2nd gear
> for the braking point or I'll I'll bog the motor down so badly in the corner
> that it's not funny and my time will greatly be hurt.

It depends on the car / Driver I run a Tiger with a ton of torque. I would of
shifted
long before I hit the red line. My car has enough HP to get you in trouble at
3000rpm
as it does at 7000. Now if you are running a high HP low torque 4 popper you
might need
to stay in the upper power band longer. It will also depend on what the course
looks like
can you carry the speed through the corner or are you going to have to shut it
down
to make the rest of the course. For what it is worth ALL drivers schools I have
been to
tell you to shift up and watch you line.

Doug Mallory
BSP