2 questions

To: "autocross list" <autox@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 2 questions
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:24:44 -0800
Two quick question for y'all, one classical and one hypotestical.

1. Shelby AC Cobra replica with tube frame, carbon fiber body and modern 5.0
EFI Ford drivetrain.  EM or what?

2. To shift or not to shift?  That is the question.  Let's say that I'm
nearing the end of a long straight and I've reached the redline in 2nd gear
in my car (7000 rpms, rev limiter smacks me in the face at 7250 rpms) but
I've got some distance yet before I arrive at my braking point before the
corner.  Say 50-60 yards or so.  Just enough time to shift up to 3rd for a
very short time and then of course have to shift right back down to 2nd gear
for the braking point or I'll I'll bog the motor down so badly in the corner
that it's not funny and my time will greatly be hurt.

So........My question is this:  Do I leave it in 2nd and just ride the
redline (but duck the rev limiter which kicks in at 7250) for that 50-60
yards or so until I reach my braking point or do I, at redline, briefly
shift into 3rd and then right back down into 2nd?  Or should I possibly
shift to 3rd earlier, before I reach the redline in 2nd gear, and "lug" the
car part way down the straight in 3rd gear at lower rpms where the power
band isn't quite at it's best?

All other things being equal I'm just wondering which one "should" produce
lower lap times.  My car does produce its max power very near the redline.
I'm not sure where it's torque peak is though (it's a DOHC Neon with the
screaming 150 horse motor, ooh, ahh).    Hmm, what to do.  That darn
Clinique counter is looking better every day.   ;^)

Let the beratement, er I mean debatement begin.  ;^)  Oops, freudian slip
there.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Running my rig around ninety-five
Rockin' and rollin' in overdrive
My heart's beating like a jackhammer
It's the midnight ride for the gear jammer
"Gear Jammer"  George Thorogood & The Destroyers