Re: SnowFlake Solo Series

To: Paul Czarnecki <oblique@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: SnowFlake Solo Series
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 10:07:09 -0700
Brian Naumann wrote:

> Second, a general question to anyone who uses snow tires:  do studs
> really make that much of a difference?  I just picked up some
> "studdable" tires for the CRX and am debating whether or not to have
> it done.  I saw the studs on a friend's tires the other day and I was
> disappointed with how "civilized" they are.  And $12/tire sucks when
> the tires only cost $36 apiece to begin with.

It really depends on what conditions you anticipate driving in. I live
in mountain country, on relatively steep dirt mountain roads (ice, snow,
mud, off camber turns, steep inclines etc.). I chose studs without
hesitation. I'm willing to live with the noise and premature wear on dry
ground if it'll allow me to reach my home safe and sound. But for alot
of folks who don't see these kinds of conditions regularly, studs don't
make as much sense.

Paul Czarnecki wrote:

> Studs, along with tread pattern, can make a huge difference.

Absolutely.

> But rubber compound also plays a major role.  There are a bunch of "hi
> tech" snow tires out there that will astound you if you have never driven
> on them before:  Bridgestone Blizzak and Yokohama Guardex 600.  I have
> owned these and loved them.  Nokian Hakkapelitta also has a steller
> reputation.  I have not yet driven the new Hakka 1 on ice so I really can't
> comment on it.

Also keep in mind, that while some of the modern studless wonder tires
have exceptional ice capability, they are not designed with deep snow in
mind. If snow shedding is of big concern for you, then perhaps something
like the Nokia is more suitable.

> I'm not a huge fan of studding.  Studs on wet asphalt are downright scary.

I disagree. I've been driving studs in the winter for a number of
seasons, and haven't had the slightest bit of trouble. Then again, I
drive a 3,000lb quattro, there aren't many conditions that would pose a
problem for my little VW.

> Just like race tires, if you want traction in the winter, stay away from
> junk tires.
> pZ

Ain't that the truth...

For what it's worth, I drive on studded Nokias, and they were roughly
$80/tire when I bought 'em.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/