Re: Autocross Gearing

To: autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Autocross Gearing
From: Tyson D Sawyer <tyson@j3.org>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 09:40:40 -0400
Mark Sirota wrote:
> I have neither a Staffs nor a 10:31, but in general, you need to be geared
> for about 80 mph for the very fastest Solo II courses.  Note that the
> Nationals is rarely one of these; you're unlikely to exceed the mid 70's
> there.

Fastest autocrosses I've seen:

The Prince Edward Island (PEI) autocross that some of us from the New
England area often go to at the beginning of August tends to be quite
fast.  When we had our Neon I ran it deep into 3rd gear (couldn't look
at the speed-O while slaloming at those speeds!).  Last year in the
Reynard I found my self flat out on the 83mph, 7K rpm rev limiter for
several hundred feet.  It seemed like an eternity.  Though I wished I
had more gear for that speed, the courses have always been of excellent
quality.  The speed doesn't imply a boring, lot of long straights
course.  Since this was not an SCCA sanctioned event, it wasn't
technically "Solo II" so Mark's guidline has not been violated. ;-)

...I've got to learn how to change gears in the tranny.

Cheers!
Ty

--
Tyson D Sawyer
    46CM '85 Reynard 85F  "The Red Headed Stepchild"

Those who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
deserve neither liberty nor security.  - Benjamin Franklin